I expect this to evolve quickly and different things seem to be working for different people. In the meantime, hope to avoid a few rabbit holes for others.
rvmworked for ruby 3.0.0 but not 2.6.6 (which is what I needed). cflags workarounds made it so ruby could get installed but gems with native extensions like grpc could not compile correctly. Tried
rbenvand it worked, so I stuck with
- Had to prepend every brew installation (including brew itself) with
arch -x86_64 brew install ....
- After installing
asdf, I installed
bundleras usual. No
arch -x86_64or anything. Same for
- Foreman and rake tasks don't need
arch -x86_64either, as expected.
- This DriftingRuby episode helped a lot.
I don't think the following were necessary but this is what I did because installing things with brew was getting hairy:
- Use Postgres.app to keep PostgreSQL running in the background, deleted it from my Procfile. Naturally, I have to start Postgres manually before I start Foreman.
- Downloaded ElasticSearch binaries and put the path in my Procfile. Essentially